“The Book of Revelation Chapter 10”
Introduction: This week we will continue our Bible Study lessons in chapter 10 of the Book of Revelation. The message of the Angel of God in chapter ten has a little book to open here. This little book is probably the seven-seals that we study in (Revelation 5:1). Now this Angel announces that no further delay would transpire before earth felt the total judgment of God’s angry. Then the Angel tells John to consume his little book and predicting that it would be sweet in his mouth and bitter in his stomach. Now John had just seen the first part of the Tribulation and it had been sweet indeed to witness the ungodly Gentiles receiving their just punishment. Now John will be allowed to preview the last three and half years of the Tribulation period which he would begin with the slaughter of Israel’s people by the Anti-Christ. This was indeed a bitter medicine for John to see. We should note that the passage in (Revelation 10:4) contains the only sealed part of the book of Revelation.
I) “The Mighty Angel with the Little Book” (Revelation 10:1-11)
1) (Read) (Chapter 10:1); And I saw another mighty Angel come down from heaven, clothed with a cloud: and a rainbow was upon his head, and his face was as it were the sun, and his feet as pillars of fire: (KJV)
1) Explanation: (Chapter 10:1); And I saw another mighty Angel come down from heaven. Now this is our Lord Jesus Christ in (Revelation 1:16); and (Daniel 10:5-6); clothed with a cloud. (Now this refers to the “Glory of God upon Him”, for He is God. (Read) (Exodus 40:34-38). And there was a rainbow upon his head, which refers to peace and Mercy. And his face was as it were the sun, and this concerns the degree of his Glory. And his feet as pillars of fire and this speaks of Judgment; and the rejecting of Mercy and Peace always brings Judgment.
1) Comments: (Chapter 10:1); John said at no other time does Jesus Christ appeared as an Angel or any other created being after His resurrection. This Angel is most likely Gabriel or Michael and this Angel is equal to them who swears an oath by Jesus our Lord, indicating something important is about to happen. The Angels play a prominent role in the Apocalypse and they are mentioned sixty-six times in this book. The purpose of this mighty Angel is clear; He is going to announce the final judgments on the earth.
2) (Read) (Revelation 10:2) And he had in his hand a little book open: and he set his right foot upon the sea, and his left foot on the earth, (KJV)
2) Explanation: (Chapter 10:2); And he had in his hand a little book open. Now this proclaims the same Book of Revelation in chapter five; but here the book is open. Now our Lord Jesus Christ is the One who was worthy to open the Book in (Revelation 5:5); and (Revelation 6:1). And Jesus set his right foot upon the sea, and his left foot on the earth. This proclaims dominion, thus meaning Righteousness will ultimately prevail on this Earth.
2) Comments: (Chapter 10:2); We see that there are two scrolls in the book of Revelation. The first scroll contains a Revelation of judgments against all evil. (Revelation 5:1) Now in the second little scroll the contents of this book are not indicated, but this little book may contain a Revelation of another judgment. This powerful Angel conveyed his high rank and his authority from God himself by straddling the land and the sea. When things are going bad in your life, just remember that this Angel represents the kind of power that is on your side. Also remember that God’s Angelic forces are with you and God’s power is available to you to deal with your problems. (Read)– (Matthew 18:10); (Hebrews 1:14)
3) (Read) (Chapter 10:3); And cried with a loud voice, as when a lion roareth: and when he had cried, seven thunders uttered their voices. (KJV)
3) Explanation: (Chapter 10:3); And cried with a loud voice, as when a lion roareth. Now this signals His Power and Victory. And when he had cried, seven thunders uttered their voices. (Now we aren’t told what these seven thunders stated, or what they meant).
3) Comments: (Chapter 10:3); John said that the Angel cried like the roar of a lion and when he shouted the voices of the seven thunders spoke to him. Now in verse four John is instructed not to write what the seven thunders uttered. Now the seven being a number of perfection, and it may here mean many, the great, loud, and strong peals of thunder, that were accompanied with distinct voices. But what was said, the Apostle John was not permitted to reveal any of it.
4) (Read) (Chapter 10:4); And when the seven thunders had uttered their voices, I was about to write: and I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Seal up those things which the seven thunders uttered, and write them not. (KJV)
4) Explanation: (Chapter 10:4); And John said when the seven thunders had uttered their voices, I was about to write. Now this proclaims the fact that the Apostle John wrote all of this down, which refers to the entirety of this Book of Revelation. And I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Seal up those things which the seven thunders uttered, and write them not.
Now John knew what they were, but was forbidden to relate it in the Book. (Now we can only speculation, but it would be useless to say).
4) Comments: (Chapter 10:4); The Angel stopped John from revealing certain parts of his vision. Now throughout history people have wanted to know what will happen in the future but God has already revealed some of it in this book. Also the Angel has told the prophet Daniel that some of his visions that he saw were not to be revealed yet to everyone in (Daniel 12:9). Now remember that Jesus told His disciples that the time of the end is not known by anyone but God the Father in (Mark 13:32-33). God has revealed all we need to know to live for him now. But in our desire to be ready for the end, we must go on serving Him and living our lives for Christ, while we wait for His coming. (The Rapture)
5) (Read) (Chapter 10:5); And the Angel which I saw stand upon the sea and upon the earth lifted up his hand to heaven, (KJV)
5) Explanation: (Chapter 10:5); And the Angel which I saw stand upon the sea and upon the earth lifted up his hand to heaven.(Now this presents, most likely the right hand, with the Book held in the left hand; and it concerns an oath).
5) Comments: (Chapter 10:5); Now John the Apostle said that the Angel that he saw was standing upon the sea and upon the earth and lifted his hand toward Heaven. Now by lifting the hand signifies taking an oath or making an appeal to the Supreme Being. This was probably (Jesus) and He swore an oath to God in Heaven. Also in verse three we read the same event when He takes the little book. (Read) (Daniel 12:7)
6) (Read) (Chapter 10:6); And sware by him that liveth for ever and ever, who created heaven, and the things that therein are, and the earth, and the things that therein are, and the sea, and the things which are therein, that there should be time no longer: (KJV)
6) Explanation: (Chapter 10:6); And swore by him that liveth for ever and ever, who created heaven, and the things that therein are, and the earth, and the things that therein are, and the sea, and the things which are therein. (Now this proclaims the fact that the world belongs to God Almighty by virtue of God being its Creator). That there should be time no longer. (Now this could be translated, “that there should be delay no longer.” Now the prayer of Jesus Christ, “Thy Kingdom Come, Thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven,” Now this prayer is about to be answered).
6) Comments: (Chapter 10:6); John said that the Angel swore by Him, meaning God Himself, that there should be no delays any longer. This indicates that the time of the end is rapidly approaching. Now from the sounding of the seventh Angel’s trumpet, the world will move relentlessly toward the fulfillment of all the prophecies of the Bible, now this will culminate the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ to the earth. Now the Angel swore by Him that liveth for ever and ever the eternal, self-existent God (Jehovah), the Maker of all things. That there should be time no longer. That the great counsels relative to the events already predicted should be immediately fulfilled, and that there should be no longer delay. This has no reference to the Day of Judgment.
7) (Read) (Chapter 10:7); But in the days of the voice of the seventh Angel, when he shall begin to sound, the mystery of God should be finished, as he hath declared to his servants the prophets. (KJV)
7) Explanation: (Chapter 10:7); But in the days of the voice of the seventh Angel, when he shall begin to sound the mystery of God should be finished. (Now this “Mystery” pertains to the reasons that God has allowed Satan to continue his reign over this Earth for these thousands of years in (II Corinthians 4:4); as he hath declared to his servants the prophets. (Read)– these scriptures; (Isaiah 14:12-20); and (Ezekiel 28:11-19).
7) Comments: (Chapter 10:7); John writes here that the mystery of God would be finished, just as He announced to His servants the prophets. Now by saying that; “the mystery of God will be accomplished.” The Apostle John was pointing to God’s removal of all evil and the final Exaltation of Jesus Christ as Lord. This pronouncement would bring fear to all of God’s enemies. Now for God’s chosen ones the believers, it will bring hope and peace for all of them. I would like to ask you these two questions. Do you really long for the return of our Lord Jesus Christ? Do you long for God and His people to be vindicated? We as believers ought to pray for God’s justice to be carried out and His plan fulfilled. We as Christians should pray for Jesus to come back because of the triumph of His kingdom, not because that the times are so bad for us here on earth or because we want out of our struggles of this life.
8) (Read) (Chapter 10:8); And the voice which I heard from heaven spake unto me again, and said, Go and take the little book which is open in the hand of the Angel which standeth upon the sea and upon the earth. (KJV)
8) Explanation: (Chapter 10:8); And the voice which I heard from heaven spake unto me again. (Now this is the same voice which told him to seal up those things that the seven thunders uttered, and write them not). And said, Go and take the little book which is open in the hand of the angel (Jesus Christ) which standeth upon the sea and upon the earth. (Now this presents the third time that our Lord Jesus Christ is presented in His Dominion Role, which guarantees the certainty of such action).
8) Comments: (Chapter 10:8); John said that the Mighty Angel that spoke to him, that stood on the sea and the land, now John was instructed to go. John was also told to take the little book out of the Angel’s hand in this verse eight. Now the Mighty Angel tells John to take the little book which is open and he was to learn from this Angel just what should be published to the world.
9) (Read) (Chapter 10:9); And I went unto the Angel, and said unto him, Give me the little book. And he said unto me, Take it, and eat it up; and it shall make thy belly bitter, but it shall be in thy mouth sweet as honey. (KJV)
9) Explanation: (Chapter 10:9); And I went unto the angel, (Jesus Christ) and said unto him, Give me the little book. (Now this refers, as stated, to the same Book that was mentioned in chapter five also). And he said unto me, Take it, and eat it up. (Now this presents idiomatic language which means to digest its contents. And it shall make thy belly bitter, but it shall be in thy mouth sweet as honey. The Word of God is always sweet. But in this case it speaks of Judgment, and will, therefore, be bitter in the belly, as all Judgment is bitter).
9) Comments: (Chapter 10:9); The Apostle John went to the Angel and ask him to give him the little book. Now this Angel told John to take the little book and eat it. Then the Angel said to John that this little book will make your stomach bitter, but the book will be as sweet as honey in your mouth. Now this Angel told John to take it, and eat it all up and Fully comprehend its meaning by studying this book thoroughly.
10) (Read) (Chapter 10:10); And I took the little book out of the Angel’s hand, and ate it up; and it was in my mouth sweet as honey: and as soon as I had eaten it, my belly was bitter. (KJV)
10) Explanation: (Chapter 10:10); And John took the little book out of the Angel’s hand, and ate it up. (Now the Apostle John did digest its contents; and it was in my mouth sweet as honey. And as soon as I had eaten it, my belly was bitter. (Now this signifying the further Judgment that was about to come). Now it pertained to the last half of the Great Tribulation, which will be the worst of all).
10) Comments: (Chapter 10:10); John said that he took the little book out of the Angel’s hand and ate it. After John ate the book he said that it was sweet as honey in his mouth but then it became bitter in his stomach. Now God’s Word is sweet to us as believers because the word brings encouragement, but it sours our stomach because of the coming judgment we must pronounce on all the unbelievers. The prophet Ezekiel also had a vision in which he was told to eat a scroll filled with judgments against the nation of Israel in (Ezekiel 3:1).
The taste was sweet in his mouth, but the scroll’s contents brought destruction, just like the scroll that John was instructed to eat. (Read) (Ezekiel 3:1)
11) (Read) (Chapter 10:11); And He said unto me, Thou must prophesy again before many peoples, and nations, and tongues, and kings. (KJV)
11) Explanation: (Chapter 10:11); And He (Jesus Christ) said unto me, Thou must prophesy again before many peoples, and nations, and tongues, and kings. Now our Lord Jesus Christ is telling John that the stand He has taken by putting one foot on the Sea and the other on the Earth does not prove His formal possession of the Earth at this time. Now this will not take place until about three and one half years later. Now the Apostle John must continue to prophesy, which, in effect, which is the second half of the Book of Revelation.
11) Comments: Now the Apostle John was told that he must prophesy again and that he must write, not only for the instruction of the Jews in Palestine, but of those in the different provinces. John was to write also to the heathens and heathen emperors and potentates in general. Now the reader will find, on comparing this chapter with that there are several things similar in both; and the writer of the Apocalypse appears to keep these two prophets continually in view. I must once more say that I do not understand these prophecies, therefore I do not take upon me to explain them. Now I see with regret how many learned men have mistaken their way here. The Commentators, and even some of the most modern, have strangely trifled in these solemn things; all trumpets, vials, woes, and them; yet from their descriptions, none get wise either to common sense or to the things that make for their peace. Also on the same ground I cannot admit the interpretation that is given of the word, that translated time in , which some have construed into an artificial period of 1,111 years, which they term chronos; hence we have the chronos, half-chronos, and non-chronos. Now Bengel has said much on these points, but to very little purpose; the word in the above place seems to signify delay simply, and probably refers to the long-suffering of God and being ended in reference to Jerusalem. Now I all along take for probable that this book was written previously to the destruction of that city. John said that he was told that he must prophesy again about many peoples, to many nations, to many languages, and to kings. Now the Apostle John’s task of communicating prophecy was not complete yet. But the message of God’s grace and judgment must still be communicated until He completes God’s final plan to consummate the end of time and events that are rapidly approaching.
Now as we come to the end of this chapter ten in the book of Revelations, I would like to ask you a question about the condition of “you’re Soul”. If you were to die before this day comes to an end. “Where would your Soul spend eternity at?
Now this is probably the most important question in your life. Would you like to ask Jesus to save you now? If so just keep on reading and the next few verses will tell you how to be saved.
Now all you have to do is just sincerely pray a simple prayer like this one here. “Please God, I confess to you my sins and need Jesus in my life right now. I will turn away from my sins and place my Faith in your Son Jesus as my Lord and Savior. Amen.”
Your, brother in Christ