“The Book of Revelation Chapter 5”
Introduction: This week we will continue our Bible Study lesson in chapter five of the Book of Revelation. Now we will read in chapter five that Jesus Christ is the only one worthy to open the scrolls. Please be much in prayer for me as I try to teach this last book of the Bible. Then we will also read the scriptures that pertain to each verse of the King James Version of the Holy Bible of our lesson. By doing this we will try to answer each passage with a comment for each verse. In our Bible Study we should always try to look for “key-words” and “phrases” in each passage of that verse.
Revelation Chapter 5:
I) (The Seven-Sealed Scroll taken by Jesus Christ)
1) (Read) (Chapter 5:1); And I saw in the right hand of him that sat on the throne a book written within and on the backside, sealed with seven seals. (KJV)
1) Explanation: (Chapter 5:1); And I saw in the right hand of Jesus. This signifies power of Him that sat on the throne with a book written within and on the backside and sealed with seven seals. Now the “Seven Seals” signify that the “time of Jacob’s trouble” is about to begin, which will rapidly bring to a conclusion that which must be done.
1) Comments: (Chapter 5:1); Now in the Apostle John’s day books were written on scrolls. This would be pieces of papyrus or vellum up to 30 feet long, rolled up and sealed with clay or wax. Now the scroll that John sees contains the full account of what God has in store for the whole world. Now the seals are located throughout the scroll so that as each one is broken, then more of the scroll can be read to reveal another phase of God’s plan for the end of the world. Now only Jesus Christ is worthy to break the seals and open the scroll. (Read) – (Revelation 5:3-5) Now this powerful scene in Heaven indicates that only our Lord Jesus Christ, who died to redeem all mankind back to God, is qualified to open the seals of this book and claim His Kingdom over all the Earth.
2) (Read) (Chapter 5:2); And I saw a strong Angel proclaiming with a loud voice, who is worthy to open the book, and to loose the seals thereof? (KJV)
2) Explanation: (Chapter 5:2); And I saw a strong Angel proclaiming with a loud voice, (Now this strong Angel is probably Gabriel, as the evidence by Gabriel’s
appearance to the Prophet Daniel in (Daniel 12:1). Who is worthy to open the book, and to loose the seals thereof? Now who is worthy to open the Book and loose the Seals? Now this would be the Son of God, “Jesus Christ” in (Romans 1:4).
2) Comments: (Chapter 5:2); Now only one with the proper authority could “open the Book” by loosing or removing its seals. (Read) – (Isaiah 29:11). Now the only one in all Heaven and Earth that could be found was Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior the Lamb.
3) (Read) (Chapter 5:3); And no man in heaven, nor in earth, neither under the earth, was able to open the book, neither to look thereon. (KJV)
3) Explanation: (Chapter 5:3); And no man in heaven, nor in earth, neither under the earth, was able to open the book, neither to look thereon. Now we should look very carefully at the words “no man.” (Please Read) (Isaiah 59:16-21) (God’s search for a man; Jesus Christ the only Redeemer).
3) Comments: (Chapter 5:3); Now the question here is; “Who has the right to judge the world?” Now that is to reveal what is hidden in the book and to execute what is written. Now “No Man”; literally, means “No one,” could be found among mankind or the Angels who had the authority to remove the “Seals” and read the scroll.
4) (Read) (Chapter 5:4); And I wept much, because no man was found worthy to open and to read the book, neither to look thereon. (KJV)
4) Explanation: (Chapter 5:4); And I wept much, because no man was found worthy to open and to read the book, neither to look thereon. (Now this pertains to the fact that this Book is so very, very important. Now it also contains not only the information regarding the coming Judgment upon this Earth, but as well as the message that this Judgment, as tendered by God, and will ultimately lead to the Redemption of the Earth).
4) Comments: (Chapter 5:4); Now John said that he wept much, because there was no man found worthy to open and read or even to look thereon this Book. Why did John weep? Now perhaps he realized that the ultimate resurrection and glorification of his own body was directly connected with the removal of the curse placed upon this earth!
II) Now these passages marks the final instance of a believer weeping, sufferings and death have combined an ocean full of human tears since Adam’s tragic sin and rebellion against the Almighty God.
1) Now Abraham wept over Sarah’s body. (Genesis 23:2)
2) Now Israel weeps over slavery and conditions in Egypt. (Exodus 2:23), and (Exodus 3:7)
3) Now Moses weeps over Miriam’s sin. (Numbers 12:13)
4) Now Joshua weeps over the defeat of Israel. (Joshua 7:6-9)
5) Now Naomi weeps as she leaves Moab. (Ruth 1:9)
6) Now Hannah weeps over her barrenness. (I Samuel 1:10)
7) Now Samuel weeps over the failure of Saul. (I Samuel 15:35)
8) Now David weeps over his great sin. (Psalms 32:4)
9) Now David weeps over the death of his rebellious son. (II Samuel 18:33)
10) Now Nehemiah weeps over Jerusalem’s broken walls. (Nehemiah 1:4)
11) Now Mordecai weeps over Haman’s murderous plot. (Esther 4:1)
12) Now a mother weeps over her sick child. (Matthew 15:22)
13) Now a widow weeps over her dead son. (Luke 7:13)
14) Now two sisters weep over their dead brother. (John 11:33)
15) Now the Savior weeps over Lazarus. (John 11:35); and (Luke 19:41)
Now all this weeping will soon come to an end, when our Lord Jesus the rightful Ruler of this universe comes forth soon! Now the Angel began to search in Heaven and they searched the earth and under the earth and no one could be found to open the book.
III) (Here Christ in His Kingly Character opens the Scroll)
(Read Chapters) (Isaiah 11:1); (Jeremiah 23:5); (Luke 1:32-33)
5) (Read) (Chapter 5:5); And one of the elders saith unto me, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof. (KJV)
5) Explanation: (Chapter 5:5); And one of the elders saith unto me, Weep not. (Now one of the Elders told John to “Weep not”; which states that man’s dilemma has been solved by Jesus); behold, the Lion of the tribe of Juda, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof. (Now this presents our Lord Jesus Christ).
5) Comments: (Chapter 5:5); “Now He is FOUND!” Jesus Christ is the only one that can open the book of seals. Now Jesus Christ is pictured as both a lion, (symbolizing His authority and power) and a Lamb, (symbolizing His submission to God’s will). Now one of the Elders calls John to look at the Lion, but when John looks he saw a Lamb. Now Jesus Christ the Lamb was the perfect sacrifice for the sins of all mankind; therefore, only He can save us from this terrible events that is revealed by the scroll. Now Jesus Christ the Lamb won the greatest battle of all. Jesus Christ has defeated all the forces of evil by dying on the Cross. Now the role of Jesus Christ the Lion will be to lead the battle where Satan is finally defeated. (Revelation 19:19-21) Now Jesus Christ the lion is victorious because of what Christ the Lamb has already done. Now we will participate in His victory not because of our effort or goodness, but because Jesus Christ has promised eternal life to all who believe in Him.
6) (Read) (Chapter 5:6); And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth. (KJV)
6) Explanation: (Chapter 5:6); And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain. (Now the Crucifixion of Jesus Christ is represented here by the word “Lamb” which refers to the fact that it was the Cross which Redeemed mankind; the slain Lamb a lone has Redeemed all things). Now having seven horns this denotes “God’s Dominion,” and “Seven” denotes total dominion. Now all of this was done for you and me, meaning that we can have total dominion over the powers of darkness, and in every capacity. So there is no excuse for the lack of victory in Jesus Christ. And the seven eyes, here denotes total, perfect, pure, and complete illumination in all things Spiritual, which is again made possible for you and me by the Cross. Now if the believer makes the Cross the Object of his or her Faith, they will never be drawn away by a “False Doctrine.”) Which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth. Now this signifying that the Holy Spirit, in all God’s Perfection and universality, functions; that are entirely within the parameters of the “Finished Work of Jesus Christ;” in other words, it is required that we always make the Cross the Object of our Faith, which gives the Holy Spirit Latitude, and guarantees the “Dominion,” and the “Illumination.”) (Read) – (Isaiah 11:2), and (Romans 8:2)
6) Comments: (Chapter 5:6); Now John sees the Lamb “looking as if it had been slain,” the wounds inflicted on Jesus Christ’s body during his trial and crucifixion could still be seen. (Read) – (John 20:24-31), Now Jesus was called the Lamb of God by John the Baptist in (John 1:29). Now in the Old Testament Lambs were sacrificed to atone for our sins; the Lamb of God died as the final sacrifice for all sins. (Read) – (Isaiah 53:7); and (Hebrews 10:1-12)
7) (Read) (Chapter 5:7); And He came and took the book out of the right hand of him that sat upon the throne. (KJV)
7) Explanation: (Chapter 5:7); And He is the Lord Jesus Christ that came and took the book out of the right hand of Him. Now this is God the Father; that sat upon the throne. (Now here all of Heaven stands in awe as the “Lamb”, (Jesus Christ), steps forward to take the “Sealed Book of Judgment.” Now here we can compare (Daniel 7:13-14); to the two Visions that are identical, and here is added that which was hidden from Daniel, that the Kings and Priests of the Church Age are to be associated with the Son of man that is seen here as “a Lamb” as it had been slain”) and He “shall reign on the Earth” in (Revelation 5:9-10). (Read)– (Revelation 5:9-10), and (Daniel 7:9-14)
7) Comments: (Chapter 5:7); Now Jesus Christ took the book out of the right hand of God the Father that sat upon the Throne. Now this scene in Heaven of the Lamb taking the scroll from the Father demonstrates that Judgment and authority over the earth is committed to the Son. (Daniel 7:13-14); Now this scroll may be the same one that was sealed in (Daniel 12:9); Now one of God’s last message to Daniel was, Go thy way, Daniel; for the words are closed up and sealed till the time of the end.
IV) (The Living Creatures and Twenty-Four Elders Worship)
8) (Read) (Chapter 5:8); And when He had taken the book, the four beasts and four and twenty elders fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps, and golden vials full of odours, which are the prayers of saints. (KJV)
8) Explanation: (Chapter 5:8); And when He (meaning the Lord Jesus Christ) had taken the book, the four beasts (the living creatures) and four and twenty elders. (Now these are representatives of the Church). (Now they were proclaiming the Deity of our Lord Jesus Christ) fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps, and golden vials full of odors, which are the prayers of saints. (Now in the Greek, this refers to the 24 Elders only. Now all the prayers, that have ever come up before God, for things to be rectified and are about to be answered).
8) Comments: (Chapter 5:8); Now the Apostle John tells us here that the four beasts and the 24 elders fell down before the Lamb as they praised Him and begin to worship our Lord Jesus Christ. For this is the will of God that all men should honor the Son as they are to honor the Father, for He has the same nature. The instruments that are used here are the harps and vials that are for their adorations. The harps were the instruments of praise and the vials were full of odors or incenses, which signify the prayers of the saints. Prayer and praise should always go together.
9) (Read) (Chapter 5:9); And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation; (KJV)
9) Explanation: (Chapter 5:9); And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof. Now only the redeemed can sing this new song. Now they proclaim that by “His Death”, (“Jesus Christ”) has acquired a right to approach where no other one could approach, and do what no other one could do for thou was slain. Now this refers to the cross, which has made everything possible and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation. Now this proclaims the fact that Salvation was secured by the Death of Jesus Christ universally applies to all classes and people on the Earth.
9) Comments: (Chapter 5:9); Now the song of God’s people praises our Lord Jesus Christ’s work. 1) Jesus Christ was slain. 2) Jesus purchased us with His blood. 3) Jesus Christ is gathering them into His Kingdom. 4) Jesus has made us priests. 5) Jesus has appointed them to reign on the earth. Now Jesus has already died and paid the penalty for sin. He is now gathering us into His kingdom and making us priests. Now in the future we will reign with Him. We will worship God and praise Him for what He has done, and what He is doing, and for what He will do for all who trust in Him. Now when we realize the glorious future that awaits us, we will find the strength to face our present difficulties.
10) (Read) (Chapter 5:10); And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth. (KJV)
10) Explanation: (Chapter 5:10); And hast made us unto our God kings and priests. Now the Scripture abundantly proclaims that whatever our Lord Jesus Christ is, it is because of the Cross, and that’s what we are also. And we shall reign on the earth. This refers to the coming Millennial Reign.
10) Comments: (Chapter 5:10); Now we are made kings and priests into our God and we shall reign on the earth. Now a similar promise is given to that “multitude which no one could number” (Revelation 7:9), when resurrected after the Tribulation. (Revelation 20:4), Now together the Christians, who were Saved before the Tribulation, along with the Saints, that were Saved out of the Tribulation will “Rule and reign” during Jesus Christ’s one thousand-year Kingdom.
V) (The Angels Exalt the Lamb)
11) (Read) (Chapter 5:11); And I beheld, and I heard the voice of many angels round about the throne and the beasts and the elders: and the number of them was ten thousand times ten thousand, and thousands of thousands; (KJV)
11) Explanation: (Chapter 5:11); And I beheld, and I heard the voice of many angels round about the throne and the beasts and the elders. And the number of them was ten thousand times ten thousand, and thousands of thousands; (Now the “ten thousand” is the greatest number expressed by the Greek vocabulary, and in itself may denote an unlimited number. But here we have a quadruple plural, ten thousands of ten thousands, and thousands of thousands; which in the Greek actually says “myriads of myriads,” that is “an innumerable host”.
11) Comments: (Chapter 5:11); Now John said that he heard the voice of many Angels and the beasts and the elders around the throne. Now at this gathering there will be ten thousand times ten thousand, and thousands of thousands about the throne. This is an incredible number of souls that have been saved during the history of man and, at this point in John’s vision, in Heaven. Then there is the “innumerable” host in (Hebrews 12:22) from the Seven-year Tribulation’s soul harvest.
12) (Read) (Chapter 5:12); Saying with a loud voice, Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honour, and glory, and blessing. (KJV)
12) Explanation: (Chapter 5:12); Saying with a loud voice, and considering the tremendous numbers, and actually this is beyond our comprehension, and what a sound this must have been. Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honor, and glory, and blessing. (Now by the Cross. This sevenfold Blessing is given to Jesus Christ and is given to us as well. Now let us say it again and again. The Cross! The Cross! The Cross! And again the Cross!
12) Comments: (Chapter 5:12); Now the Angels said with a loud voice that the Lamb was slain which is Jesus that died for all sinners and He is worthy to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honor, and glory, and blessing. The Lamb is worthy of that office and that authority which requires the greatest power and wisdom, the greatest fund and all Excellency, to discharge them aright. Jesus is worthy of all honor, and glory, and blessing, because Jesus Christ is sufficient for the office and He is faithful in it. This is acknowledged by the church and carried on by the Angels, and is resounded and echoed by the whole creation. Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honor, and glory, and blessing. Now the blessing is giving to Christ and to us also.
VI) (The Universal Adoration of the Lamb as King)
(Read Chapter) (Philippians 2:9-11)
13) (Read) (Chapter 5:13); And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honour, and glory, and power, be unto him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever. (KJV)
13) Explanation: (Chapter 5:13); And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying. (Now the Death of Jesus Christ as our Atonement is the ground or basis of the Restoration of all things. And is implied in (Philippians 2:8-11). Blessing, and honor, and glory, and power, be unto him that sitteth upon the throne, (God the Father). And unto the Lamb forever and ever. Now what our Lord Jesus Christ did at the Cross which guaranteed the total defeat of Satan and all his minions of darkness, which will ultimately cleanse Heaven and Earth in totality and forever.
13) Comments: (Chapter 5:13); John tells us that all the creatures in Heaven and on earth, and in the sea, and everywhere give praise, and honor, and glory, and power to God that sitteth on the throne, and the Lamb, which is Jesus that lives for ever and ever. We also honor and glorify and worship the one and the same God for our creation and for our redemption in Christ our Lord and Savior. Now these three outbursts of praise and worship are directed toward Jesus Christ and the Father; 1) The creatures and elders praise the Lamb for having redeemed them through His blood. 2) The Angels also praise the Lamb for His glory and wisdom. 3) Now in every area of creation worships both the Father and the Lamb. Now the death of Jesus Christ on the Cross restores us and guarantees the believers in Christ a home in Heaven with total forgiveness of sin.
14) (Read) (Chapter 5:14); And the four beasts said, Amen. And the four and twenty elders fell down and worshipped him that liveth forever and ever. (KJV)
14) Explanation: (Chapter 5:14); And the four beasts which are (the living creatures) said, Amen. Now the four “Living Ones” say “Amen” to the fourfold Blessing. And the four and twenty elders fell down and worshipped him that liveth forever and ever. Now this records the fact that not only is our God eternal, but what Jesus Christ did at the cross will have eternal results as well, forever and ever.)
14) Comments: (Chapter 5:14); Now this scene in chapter five shows us that only the Lamb, Jesus Christ, is worthy to open the scroll, (the events of history.) Now Jesus not Satan, holds the future. Jesus Christ is in control, and He alone is worthy to set into motion the events of the last days of history.
A) Now as we come to the end of this fifth chapter in the book of Revelations. I would like to ask you a question about the condition of “you’re Soul”. If you were to die before this day comes to an end; “Where would your Soul spend eternity at? Now this is probably the most important question in your life. Would you like to ask Jesus to save you now? If so just keep on reading and the next few verses will tell you how to be saved.
B) Now all you have to do is just sincerely pray a simple prayer like this one here. “Please God, I confess to you my sins and need Jesus in my life right now. I will turn away from my sins and place my Faith in your Son Jesus as my Lord and Savior. Amen.
Note: Now this concludes our bible study on chapter five of the Book of Revelation. Please be much in prayer for me as I try to teach the sixth chapter of this great book of Revelation. Just remember that everything on this web-site is free. Please pass them on to other people if they have helped you.
Your’ Brother in Christ